Riding on Gravel roads
around Julian Alps
Riding on Gravel
around Julian Alps
Juliana Bike Tour - Bikepacking around Julian Alps
SLOVENIA AND ITALY | GRAVEL OR MTB RIDING TOUR | JULIAN ALPS
Adventurous bike tour with riding around the Julian Alps. An amazing gravel or mountain biking experience in the heart of the Julian Alps and Triglav National Park with rides on gravel roads, wide trails and distant roads. Explore the beauty of the pure and intact Alpine nature by bike. Juliana bike tour is one of the most beautiful circular long distance adventurous biking tours in Europe.
The Juliana Bike tour takes you where you will feel the true pulse of life in the Julian Alps and learn about the rich natural and cultural heritage. This tour takes you mostly along gravel roads, which are surrounded by forests, rivers, mountains and remote farms. We have designed your perfect gravel or mountain biking experience around the Julian Alps, which combines great riding and exploring. Everything you love about true bikepacking journey.
The Julian Alps cover an estimated 4400 km2. They are divided into the Eastern and Western Julian Alps. There are many peaks in the Eastern Julian Alps over 2000 m high, and they are mainly parts of ridges. The most prominent peaks are visible by their height and size. The king of this mountain range is Mt Triglav (2864 meters), Slovenia’s highest mountain and the symbol of the Slovenian nation. The Western Julian Alps cover a much smaller area and are located mainly in Italy. The king of this mountain range is Jof di Montasio (2752 meters), the highest mountain in Western Julian Alps.
- Duration: 6 days / 5 nights (+2 days - easy tour)
- Activity: Gravel / MTB Tour
- Style: Adventure biking, bikepacking, long distance stages tour.
- Length: 384 km / Elevation: Climb - 9.560 m
- Grade: Moderate.
- Accommodation: Small hotels, farmhouse or camping.
- Date: From May 15th to October 30th.
- Booking: Any day of the week.
- Start of the tour: Arrival city is Bled, Slovenia.
- End of the tour: Bled.
- Destination: East Julian Alps (Slovenia) and West Julian alps (Italy)
- Price: 890€ (min. 4 bikers in group).
- You can also choose a Self Guided Tour / 685€ (min. 2 bikers in group).
- Note: This bike tour involves riding through remote and rugged terrains.
The Juliana tour can be extended for 1-2 days (50-60 km/day) - Juliana Bike Trail Easy. For well-prepared cyclists, shortened by a day or two - Juliana Bike Trail Challenge. Well-prepared gravel or mtb rider can also choose Juliana Bikepacking Race in June 2022.
At LIFE Bike we specialize in designing epic bike tours. We are committed to seeking out the very best in everything for our riders that only the knowledge and experience of our local team can provide. This epic Juliana Bike Tour is designed by our team back in 2018. In 2007, we launched the first road cycling - touring - around the Julian Alps - "Cycling around Julian Alps"
Gravel or MTB
Bike skill level: Intermediate+
Bike fitness level: Level 4/5 (7 is max)
Each day of this sensational Juliana bike tour will inspire your sense of adventure. It’s all about exploring Julian Alps by bike.
WHEN TO GO / DATE
May 15th - October 30th
START / END LOCATION
Bled or Kranjska Gora, Slovenia
LAKE BLED TO LAKE BOHINJ
PERFECT GRAVEL DAY
A day on the bike, which will take us past Lake Bled, on some of the most beautiful roads by Sava Bohinjka river and across the marvelous plateau of Jelovica. At the last part of today’s route the trail will impress us with a view of the Bohinj Valley and Julian Alps, where the mighty Mount Triglav stands. A descent on excellent gravel roads to Bohinj Lake will take us to the right side of the valley. A picturesque stage with open views of the Julian Alps.
- Morning introductory meeting.
- Biking from Bled to Lake Bohinj.
- You will ride a distance of 50 km on the Gravel Epic Event trail.
- Accommodation: Opt1: Hotel***, Bohinj. Opt2: Camping, Bohinj.
- 62 km / C-1.580 m, D-1.360 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 85%, asphalt/tarmac 15%
LAKE BOHINJ TO TOLMIN
TRUE ADVENTURE RIDE
A somewhat longer stage, which runs across a bit secluded places at the southern parts of the Julian Alps. The roads lead us through beautiful areas, past remote villages and farms. In the last part the route takes us to the valley of the Soča river, which is known for its amazing emerald color. A marvelous day for all nostalgic bikers and true adventurers.
- Breakfast in hotel or reastaurant.
- Biking from Lake Bohinj to Tolmin.
- Accommodation: Opt1: Hotel***, Tolmin. Opt 2: Farmhouse, Tolmin.
- 69.5 km / C-1670 m, D-1760 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 25%, wide single roads 5%
TOLMIN TO BREGINJ VILLAGE
TRUE MOUNTAIN CHALLENGES RIDE
Today’s stage runs across the high mountains above the Soča River and below Mount Krn. From there, we descend back to this beautiful and fascinating emerald color river to cross it and connect the westernmost part of slovenia. A day full of true mountain challenges.
- Breakfast in hotel.
- Biking from Tolmin to Breginj via Kobarid.
- Accommodation in Private apartment or farmhouse***, Breginj.
- 62.5 km / C-1550 m, D-1360 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 30%
BREGINJ TO RESIUTTA (I)
AN INCREDIBLE LANDSCAPED PATRIMONY
From Breginj area, the westernmost part of slovenia we will connect the remote valley of Rezija with cycling through the well-known Kobariški stol (Mt Kobariski Stol). An amazing riding day.
- Breakfast in private apartments/farmhouse.
- Biking from Breginj to Resiutta (Italy).
- Accommodation in Hotel***, Resiutta.
- 56.8 km / C-1.380 m, D-1.458m 6-7h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 30%
RESIUTTA TO KRANJSKA GORA
REAL ALPINE DELIGHT
Today’s stage takes us through the beautiful western parts of the Julian Alps with the mighty mountains of Montaž and Viš. Cycling through the valleys of Dogna and Valbruna will surely delight us with the true Alpine scenery. In the last part of the route we connect to the valley of the Sava River. Real Alpine delight.
- Breakfast in hotel.
- BIking from Resiutta (Italy) to Kranjska Gora (Slovenia) via Dogna and Valbruna valley
- Biking option: Via Riofreddo valley.
- Accommodation: Opt 1: Hotel***, Kranjska Gora; Opt 2: Camp, Martuljek.
- Option via Valbruna: 68.7 km / C-1840m, D-2060 m / 6-7h.
- Option via Riofreddo: 74.2 km / C-2314m, D-1823 m / 6-7h.
- gravel 60%, asphalt/tarmac 38%, 2% single roads.
KRANJSKA GORA TO RADOVLJICA AND BLED LAKE
EASTERN JULIAN ALPS VIEWS RIDE
Today’s route runs through the valley of Sava river, on the eastern side of the Julian Alps. We ascend from the valley to the heart of the Karavanke mountains, where we cycle on the Karavanke mountain trail to the mountain hut with magnificent views of the Julian Alps. The last part of the route is a pleasant descent into the heart of the Gorenjska Plain and Radovljica old town and to lake Bled where the stage ends. An eventful day with views of the eastern part of the Julian Alps.
- Breakfast in hotel or restaurant.
- Biking from Kranjska Gora to Bled via Mojstrana and Radovljica old town.
- You will ride a distance of 30 km on Trans Karawanken Trail.
- 55 km / C-1655 m, D-1180 m / 5-6h.
- gravel 70%, asphalt/tarmac 28%, 1% single roads.
WHY RIDE JULIANA BIKE TOUR
- Stunning mountain scenery of the Julian Alps.
- Unique gravel roads around Triglav National Park.
- Beautiful towns of Bled, Tolmin, Valbruna, Kranjska Gora, Kobarid, Tarvisio.
- Explore magical Lake Bohinj and Lake Bled.
- Enjoy Dogna and Valbruna Valley on the west side of the Julian Alps - Italian!
- Beautiful Soča Valley: The valley of the emerald river.
- The valley of Resia Mountain: An incredible landscaped patrimony.
- Ride on "Gravel Epic Event" section (day 1, 60 km).
- Stay in charming accommodations.
- Taste the richness of the Slovenian and Italian culinary.
JULIANA RIDING MAP
INFORMATION AND PRICE - SELF GUIDED
- Full organization of the bike tour.
- Introductory briefing on day 1 with a welcome drink.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary, route instructions and all details with vouchers.
- Maps with marked route (1:25.000)
- Navigation pack - GPS track and phone app.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 5 nights in 3* hotel accommodation with breakfast (Opt 1) / 5 nights in private apartments, farmhouse and camps with breakfast (Opt 2)
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- 6-day rental of Trek Gravel bike Checkpoint
- 6-day rental of helmet, simple rain cover jackets, lock, pump, spare tube, water bottles (new), Squirt chain lube and repair kit.
- 6-day rental Ortlieb waterproof frame pack, seat pack, handlebar pack, gravel bags for luggage.
- Main luggage storage.
- Rent-a Garmin device: 10€/day.
- Single supplement: 280 €/person.
- 5 day luggage transfers: 240€/group.
Book now !
MAKE AN INQUIRY
JULIANA GRAVEL RIDING
Once you submit your form, we'll get back to you with options and logistical insight to begin planning the trip of your dreams. It's as simple as that.